Angiographic findigs and prognostic indicators in patients resuscitated from sudden cardiac death.
Sixty-four patients with coronary artery disease (CAD) who had been resuscitated from out-of-hospital ventricular fibrillation (VF) underwent cardiac catheterization and angiography. The majority (72%) had a previous history of cardiovascular disease; in the remaining 28%, VF was the first manifestation of CAD. Advanced coronary atherosclerosis was a common finding; 94% of the patients had severe stenoses (70% or greater diameter narrowing) in one or more of the major coronary arteries, and most (70%) had ventricular wall contraction abnormalities. In over half of the patients, coronary anatomy was potentially suitable for complete revascularization. During an average follow-up period of 20.4 months, fourteen of the 64 patients developed a second episode of VF and/or died suddenly (VF/SD). In an attempt to identify characteristics which might be of prognostic value, the clinical, hemodynamic, and angiographic characteristics of this group were compared to those patients who had a single episode of VF and survived during follow-up. Patients who developed recurrent VF/SD had more triple vessel CAD (P less than 0.01), lower ejection fractions (P less than 0.05), and far more severe abnormalities of left ventricular contraction (P less than 0.001). These results indicate that angiographic findings can identify individuals at high risk for recurrent VF and also suggest that myocardial scarring may be an important factor in the initiation of ventricular fibrillation and in its recurrence.
- Copyright © 1976 by American Heart Association