Long-Term Observations in Patients with Angina and Normal Coronary Arteriograms
Thirty-seven patients (mean age 42.7 years) with angina pectoris (AP), ischemic myocardial abnormalities, and normal coronary arteriograms were followed for 4.1 years (mean). Twenty patients had typical and 17 atypical AP. Ten had abnormal serum lipids, and eight had abnormal glucose tolerance tests. Rest-to-exercise hemodynamics revealed increased left ventricular (LV) end-diastolic pressure (mean 11.2 ± 2.6 mm Hg → 19.1 ± 3.6, P < 0.05), while stroke-work index increased (+29%). LV ischemia was detected by abnormal lactate extraction with atrial pacing in 10 or ≧1 mm S-T segment depression during exercise or pacing in 27 patients. After a mean follow-up period of 4.1 years, AP decreased in 80% of cases and remained stable in the other 20% of cases. One patient died suddenly, and autopsy revealed normal coronary arteries and myocardium. In the remainder, complications of ischemia, i.e. progression of symptoms, infarction, and heart failure were absent. Seven patients restudied 4.5 years (mean) later had no changes in their previously documented hemodynamic abnormalities and normal coronary arteriograms.
The fate of patients with AP and normal coronaries with ischemic LV abnormalities (ECG, metabolic, or hemodynamic) appears favorable. AP responds to nitrate and propranolol therapy. These long-term clinical observations with angiographic and hemodynamic restudies suggest a nonprogressive disorder.
- Received June 20, 1972.
- Accepted September 5, 1972.
- © 1973 American Heart Association, Inc.