Abstract 122: Sivelestat Sodium Hydrate Treatment for Patients with Kawasaki Disease refractory to initial intravenous immunoglobulin therapy
Background: There are still no definite treatments for refractory Kawasaki disease (KD). In this pilot study, we evaluated the safety and efficacy of a new protocol consisting of sivelestat sodium hydrate (SSH) combined with additional intravenous immune globulin (IVIG) for KD patients who were resistant to initial IVIG therapy.
Methods: We prospectively collected clinical data of KD patients who were resistant to initial IVIG (2g/kg for one day) and received SSH (0.2mg/kg/hour for consecutive 5 days) combined with additional IVIG (2g/kg for one day) as a second-line therapy at Chiba University hospital between December 2006 and March 2014. We defined patients who remained febrile (37.5°C or more of an axillary temperature) after 36 to 48 hours after start of initial IVIG therapy or who had recrudescent fever associated with other symptoms of Kawasaki disease as being resistant to initial IVIG.
Results: Thirty five KD patients were enrolled in this study. No serious adverse effect was noted. The median total duration of fever was 8 days (range 6 to 17 days) and the incidence of coronary artery lesion (CAL) was 5.7% (2 of 35 patients). Among a total of 35 patients, 24 (69%) of them responded promptly to be afebrile 36 to 48 hours after the start of the additional IVIG with SSH. One of these 24 patients developed CAL. The other 11 (31%) failed to become afebrile 36 to 48 hours after the start of the additional IVIG with SSH therapy. Of these 11 patients, one developed CAL. Before initial IVIG, there was no difference in demographic and laboratory data except the age, body weight and % Neutrophils. However, after initial IVIG therapy, there appeared significant difference in % Neutrophils and C-reactive protein levels and both of which were higher in additional IVIG with SSH therapy non-responders than in responders.
Conclusions: Additional IVIG combined with SSH for the additional treatment of KD patients who were refractory to initial IVIG therapy was safe and the incidence of CAL is acceptable considering the severity of patients in this study.
Author Disclosures: R. Ebata: None. K. Yasukawa: None. Y. Saito: None. K. Higashi: None. N. Takada: None. F. Takechi: None. N. Saito: None. H. Kobayashi: None. N. Shimojo: None.
- © 2015 by American Heart Association, Inc.