Abstract P175: Effectiveness Of A Community Screening Program For Metabolic Syndrome And Cardiovascular Risk Factor Identification In Young South Asians Adults
Background: Metabolic syndrome has been associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease.We aimed to determine the effectiveness of a community-based screening program in identifying cardiovascular risk factors in a healthy young South Asian population.
Methods: Between 2006 and 2011, 3,314 patients of all ages were recruited as a part of a prospective cohort study investigating cardiovascular risk in South Asians. We analyzed 1537 patients between the ages of 18 and 40. Demographic and baseline characteristics including baseline laboratory markers and blood pressures were obtained at initial visit.
Results: The total cohort of 1537 patients was 66.5% male, and the mean age was 35±5 years. Among participants who denied a history of hypercholesterolemia, 62% had elevated LDL-C (>100 mg/dL), and 8% had markedly elevated LDL-C (>160 mg/dL). Overall, diabetes was present in 4%, hypertension was present in 12% and hyperlipidemia was present in 46%. Low HDL-C (50% of men, 52% of women) and elevated triglycerides (44% of men, 18% of women) were the most prevalent components of metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome was present in 14% of men and 8% of women and one-third (30%) of men and one-fifth (19%) of women had at least two component risk factors.
Discussion: This is the largest study to date assessing effectiveness of a community based screening program aiming to identify cardiovascular risk in young South Asians. We note significant modifiable risk at a young age. Such community based interventions can be effective at detecting and managing risk factors early in this vulnerable population.
Author Disclosures: M. Prasad: None. E. Flowers: None. A. Mathur: None. V. Sridhar: None. C. Molina: None. M. Turakhia: None.
- © 2014 by American Heart Association, Inc.