In the article by Jensen et al, “2013 AHA/ACC/TOS Guideline for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society,” which published online November 12, 2013, and appears in the supplement to the June 24, 2014, issue of the journal (Circulation. 2014;129[suppl 2]:S102–S138), several corrections were needed.
These corrections have been made to the print version and to the current online version of the article, which is available at http://circ.ahajournals.org/lookup/doi/10.1161/01.cir.0000437739.71477.ee.
On the title page, the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition has been added as an endorsing organization.
On the title page, Robert A. Guyton, MD, FACC, was listed as a member of the ACC/AHA Task Force. His name has been removed from the list of Task Force members.
On the title page, the first footnote paragraph now reads, “This document was approved by the American College of Cardiology Board of Trustees, the American Heart Association Science Advisory and Coordinating Committee, and The Obesity Society Board of Trustees in November 2013. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics affirms the value of this guideline.” The footnote previously did not refer to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
In the Table of Contents, “References” has been added after Section 4.5 and “Appendix 3. Abbreviations” after Appendix 2.
Throughout the article, the classifications for weight classes had differing ranges. These have been changed as follows: underweight <18.5 kg/m2, normal weight 18.5 to 24.9 kg/m2, overweight 25 to 29.9 kg/m2, obesity (class 1) 30 to 34.9 kg/m2, obesity (class 2) 35 to 39.9 kg/m2, and extreme obesity (class 3) ≥40 kg/m2. These ranges have been updated in Figure 1 as well.
Throughout the article, callouts to the “Full Panel Report Supplement” have been hyperlinked to the report.
In Section 1, last paragraph, the last sentence read, “…and “2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Assessment of Risk Assessment8-10 for topics outside….” It has been changed to read, “…and “2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk8-10 for topics outside….”
In Section 1.3, third paragraph, the first sentence, reference 1 has been added: “The evidence-based process followed most of the standards from the Institute of Medicine’s report, Clinical Practice Guidelines We Can Trust.1”
In Section 1.4, the second paragraph, the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition has been added as an endorsing organization.
In Table 4,
• Recommendation 1b read, “…overweight (BMI >25.0–29.9 kg/m2).” It has been changed to read, “…overweight (BMI 25.0–29.9 kg/m2).”
• The abbreviation list read, “…IDF, International Diabetes Foundation….” It has been changed to read, “…IDF, International Diabetes Federation….”
Figure 1, has been edited and clarified to more closely align with published recommendations.
• The arrow connecting the green diamond in the top row to the white box below read, “No BMI 18.5-<25.” It has been changed to read, “No BMI 18.5–24.9.”
• The first white box from the left on the penultimate row of the algorithm read, “Intensive behavioral treatment; reassess and address medical or other contributory factors; consider adding or re-evaluating obesity pharmacotherapy, and/or refer to an experienced bariatric surgeon (See Box 16.)” It has been changed to read, “Intensive behavioral treatment (See Box 10); reassess and address medical or other contributory factors; consider adding or reevaluating obesity pharmacotherapy (See Box 12), and/or refer to an experienced bariatric surgeon (See Box 13).”
In Box 10, the footnote symbol for the title has been changed from asterisk to double dagger. The footnote for the title is now: “‡BMI cutpoint determined by the FDA and listed on the package inserts of FDA-approved obesity medications.”
In Section 3.5, 5c “Complications,” the first sentence read, “…short term (>30 days)….” It has been changed to read, “…short term (<30 days)….”
In Section 3.5.1, ES2, 5th sub-bullet, the last part of the sentence read, “…and changes in triglyceride or LDL levels….” It has been changed to read, “…and changes in total cholesterol or LDL levels….”
After the references, Key Words have been added: “AHA Scientific Statements ◼ bariatric surgery ◼ behavior therapy ◼ blood pressure ◼ body mass index ◼ diabetes mellitus ◼ diet ◼ dyslipidemia ◼ lifestyle ◼ waist circumference ◼ weight loss.”
In Appendix 2, the following has been added to the footnote: “This table represents the relationships of reviewers with industry and other entities that were self-disclosed at the time of peer review. It does not necessarily reflect relationships with industry at the time of publication. To review the NHLBI and ACC/AHA’s current comprehensive policies for managing relationships with industry and other entities, please refer to http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cvd_adult/coi-rwi_policy.htm and http://www.cardiosource.org/Science-And-Quality/Practice-Guidelines-and-Quality-Standards/Relationships-With-Industry-Policy.aspx.”
- © 2014 The Expert Panel Members. Circulation is published on behalf of the American Heart Association, Inc., by Wolters Kluwer; the Journal of the American College of Cardiology is published on behalf of the American College of Cardiology Foundation by Elsevier Inc.; Obesity is published on behalf of The Obesity Society by John Wiley and Sons Inc. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial-NoDervis License, which permits use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided that the Contribution is properly cited, the use is noncommercial, and no modifications or adaptations are made.