Abstract 2760: Termination or Persistence of Atrial Fibrillation during Left Atrial Substrate Modification Does Not Correlate with Long-Term Clinical Outcome in Longstanding, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation
It was recently reported that the abolition of atrial fibrillation (AF) during the left atrial (LA) ablation targeting AF maintenance substrates (LA-Ab) correlated with better clinical outcome in longstanding, persistent AF (LP-AF). This study was aimed to test if the AF termination or conversion to atrial tachycardia (AT) during LA-Ab was related to better subsequent clinical outcome in LP-AF. This study included 94 consecutive patients (pts) with drug-refractory, LP-AF (age: 62+/−9 years, AF duration: 80+/−76 months, LA diameter: 48+/−5 mm) who underwent the initial LA-Ab combined with extensive encircling PV isolation (EEPVI). After completion of EEPVI, the LA-Ab targeting the continuous, fractionated atrial electrograms was performed sequentially at the roof, inferoposterior region, septum, mitral annulus along the coronary sinus, mitral isthmus and base of LA appendage during sustained AF until AF terminated. The results of the initial session and follow-up data after the initial session were reviewed. Of the 94 pts, conversion of AF to AT (n=35) and/or AF/AT termination (n=34) were observed in 52 pts (55%: Group-1). In the remaining 42 pts (45%: Group-2), neither AF termination nor conversion to AT was observed during the LA-Ab. During the early phase (<1 month) of the follow-up, 40 pts (43%) had acute recurrences of AF (n=16) or AT (n=24) 8+/−9 days after the LA-Ab session, and its incidence was significantly lower in Group-1 than in Group-2 (15/52 (29%) vs 25/42 (61%); P=0.003). During the later phase (=/>1 month; average=257+/−130 days), 73 (78%) of the 94 pts were free from AF/AT episodes with antiarrhythmic medications in 40 pts (43%), while the remaining 21 pts (22%) had recurrence of AF (n=9) or AT (n=12). The AF/AT-free rate during the later phase of the follow-up was not significantly different between the groups (Group-1 vs Group-2: 41/52 pts (79%) vs 30/42 pts (76%); P=0.25). Although the termination of AF/AT or conversion of AF to AT during LA-Ab correlated with better clinical outcome in the early phase, it did not correlate with subsequent freedom from AF/AT in LP-AF. The termination of AF/AT or conversion of AF to AT might not be an optimal procedural endpoint during the LA-Ab.