Abstract 5070: Progression of Urine Albumin Excretion Despite of Optimized Therapies to Reduce Atherosclerotic Risk Factors has an Adverse Outcome in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease
Although microalbuminuria is considered a strong risk factor of future cardiovascular disease (CVD), it remains unclear whether changes in urine albumin excretion (UAE) in response to a reduction of coronary risk factors may provide prognostic information in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD). Thus, this study assessed the hypothesis that changes in UAE in response to optimized therapy for reduction of CAD risk may predict future CVD events in patients with CAD. This study enrolled of 213 patients with newly diagnosed CAD who had microalbuminuria (30 mg/day ≤ UAE < 300 mg/day) at entry. Patients with late-stage chronic kidney disease (GFR < 60 ml/min/1.73 m2) at entry were excluded. All patients had individualized, optimized therapies including medications and recommended life style changes to reduce risk factors for CAD according to AHA guidelines. All patients had a repeated test of UAE at 6 months (2nd test) after the 1st UAE test. Thereafter, all patients were prospectively followed up for 3 years or until the occurrence of 1 of the following events: CVD death, nonfatal myocardial infarction, unstable angina pectoris requiring revascularization, or ischemic stroke. Progression of UAE at the 2nd test was defined as > 50% increase from the UAE at the 1st test. UAE at 2nd test was progressed in 62 (29%) patients, while it was not progressed in the remaining 151 (71%) patients. UAE at entry was comparable between patients with and without progression of UAE (52 ± 6.2 vs.61 ± 4.7 mg/day, respectively, p = ns). During follow-up period, events occurred in 15 (24%) of the 62 patients with progression of UAE and in 16 (10%) of the 151 patients without progression of UAE (p < 0.01 by chi-square test). Using a multivariate Cox hazards analysis, progression of UAE was a predictor of future CVD events that was independent of UAE at 1st test, use of medications, age, and traditional CAD risk factors (HR 2.5, 95%CI 1.2 – 4.8, p = 0.01). Progression of urine albumin excretion despite individualized and optimized therapies to reduce CAD risk factors represents an adverse outcome in CAD patients. Periodic measurement of urine albumin excretion may be useful for risk stratification in CAD.